Exercise 4.4 Deconstructing colour as yarn

This exercise aims to select and explore new and appropriate making and deconstructing techniques to translate lighter and more transparent qualities into my yarns.

I am going to revisit exercise 3.3. my semi-transparent still life colour stripes.  The exercise requires me to develop ideas from my strips and apply methods of deconstruction etc to capture the lightness, colour, energy of my stripes in a small series of yarn designs and yarn concepts.

For easy reference here is my exercise 3.3. stripes.  I think the colours are exaggerated and not pale enough for exercise 4.4.so I have done a new set of stripes.

 

The new painted exercise using the colours on the original exercise 3.3 on the right hand side above is shown below.

img_8310I collected some materials from around the house that reflected both the colour palettes and the qualities in my watercolour strips. I found this fun.

The first item I found was a packet of plastic shower caps which to me had the light and delicate colours of the watercolour strips.  I deconstructed the shower cap and cut it into strips.  I then knotted these and then I looked at the elastic part which had been cut off and decided to plait the two pieces together roughly.  The photo below shows the shower cap before I deconstructed it and the two yarn formations.

img_8312

For more detail of the yarn pieces the photos below apply.  I like the way you get a transparency with the plastic on these pieces. First photo the knotted strips.

img_8315

Second photo the elastic pieces around the shower cap.  The effect of these pieces is interesting because of the almost frill type edges.

img_8316Next I was looking for an open transparent effect and wove some orange wire using a rough lock stitch I had seen in Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn’s book “A Tale of Two Stitches”.

img_8317This has potential use for weaving or thread darning in a macro sense.

I carried on and looked at some hessian off cut I had and decided to deconstruct this by pulling out threads and fraying the edges.  I looked at the threads that had been removed and decided to do an elongated knotting.  I was trying to capture the openness and delicacy of the painted watercolour.  Did I succeed?  Well I like that I deconstructed the hessian but the delicateness of the watercolour is not really there.

img_8320

To try to achieve the transparent and delicate effect I looked around and found some bubble wrap which I cut and using a cream (as in no colour) I did a large running stitch through the middle.  This has potential for threads being threaded crosswise as well as vertical.  I thought this achieved my attempt at delicacy.

img_8326Lastly I found some tape that had been wrapped around something that had come into our house it was painted with delicate wash of paint.

img_8323Next I tried to remove some of the painted colour with some very old colour remover and also decolourant (also very old at least five years) but I was only partially successful with the removal as you can see below.

img_8324Interesting how the same piece of tape can throw different shading on a black fabric as opposed to white paper!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s