Part 5 Project 3 Experimenting and Taking Risks

In this Project I am focusing on experimentation with methods and materials.

I have decided to focus on the materials and base for my future work. I worked through my approach using my sketchbook.  This is my first page where I am documenting my initial thoughts and linkages.

IMG_8751

I am drawn to the bougainvillea which is in my Part 1 Tropical Tourist living collage. I found the delicate flowers and then the very sharp thorns a contradiction.  I drew a pencil sketch of the plant as I was considering my options for experimentation.IMG_8753

In my sketchbook I then made a list of options for the background materials I could consider which were experimental see my photograph of the sketchbook page below.  I also used the design elements framework to brainstorm ideas.  I considered some of my source materials such as my drawings, mark making, photographs, rubbings and my yarns.IMG_8754

In my sketchbook I made a colour collage to encourage me to think about what colours I might use in the Project. This is shown below.  I also questioned myself about what threads I might use and embellishments and most importantly what I thought the emphasis might be.  As I have indicated earlier in ATV I tend to think and think and think about a piece of textile work but do not document I consider the types of issues I have documented in my sketchbook but have not written down.  Encouraged by my Tutor I am training myself to approach my work this new way documenting in my sketchbook.IMG_8755

I next considered my possible design tools and approaches and these are documented below.IMG_8757Having undertaken this documented approach and due consideration to my experimental work I next decided to make the samples based on my experimentation being the materials and mark making for the background work for Assignment 5 with the restricted colour palette informed by my colour collage work in my sketchbook.

 

I have put my samples into my sketchbook some are bigger than the sketchbook but that is alright.

Experiment 1  Rubbing on my procion dyed fabric using the skin of the pineapple used in the Photograph Collage of the revised Tropical Tourist (photographs in Part 5)IMG_8702

Experiments 2 a, 2b, 2c – are made on canvas which I have painted with gesso

2a – mono printing – gelliplate printing with bougainvillea petals  using textile inks using a second layer of printing

2b – is back printing using textile inks on the gelliplate of bougainvillea thorns

2c – is black and white texture using direct printing with textile ink with a rack from the dishwasher underneath

IMG_8703

I like the roughness of the gessoed canvas and the texture it creates on the prints.

For Experiments 3 I used kona cotton to which I applied white gesso.

Experiment 3.1 – the same type of experiment as Experiment 2.1 with the mono printing using a gelliplate and textile ink with two layers.  The result was much denser and smoother with more solid colour

IMG_8704

Experiment 3.2 uses the direct printing method with textile ink using roller brush and wire dishwasher rack to make marks.

IMG_8705

Experiment 3.3 I used cut out paper petals larger than the real bougainvillea petals and did a light print over with textile ink on the gelliplate.

IMG_8706

Experiment 3.4 I depicted the bougainvillea thorns using back printing using a skewer and textile ink on the gelliplate the same as for the canvas piece 2.b  I particularly like back printing as a technique because it leaves background noise on the surface which gives it a painterly effect.

IMG_8707

 

Experiment 4 Next I printed directly onto COTTON fabric.

Experiment 4.1 shows the back printing using a skewer done directly onto the cotton fabric (i.e. NO gesso) it comes up really well too.  Still using the gelliplate and the textile ink as in Experiment 2b and 3.4.  Similar results so it depends how much say hand stitching one might want to do or it it was to go into a textile piece with other dyed cotton fabric for example.

 

IMG_8709

 

Experiment 4.2 once again the real bougainvillaea petals mono printed using the gelliplate with textile ink.  Has lots of potential for hand stitch, art quilts or just quilts.IMG_8710

 

Experiment 5 – cotton fabric with direct free printing and mark making using cardboard edges.  I drew the bougainvillea petals and the stalk using intense block colour and then added water.  I don’t like this effect it looks basic and I much prefer the layering of textile ink or appliqué fabric.IMG_8711

Experiment 6 – Inktense blocks on cotton with water added.  I gave the inktense blocks another go using mark making and liked this better as a background fabric which could be cut up and repositioned to create more interest.E

Experiment 7 –

7.1 – Canvas with white gesso applied.  I then painted textile ink in a grid onto the surface.  This makes a bold statement.

7.2 – I took pellon (or what we call pellon in Australia) and dyed it with procion dye. It is soft and would be particularly good using needle felting or an embellisher machine

Experiment 8 – cotton fabric with back printing using a gelliplate and the back of a paintbrush. Was really just looking at how a lighter colour would look with the back printing.  It is subtle but may be good for a background fabric.IMG_8750I think that my Experimental textile samples will be very helpful for my approach to Assignment Five.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s